POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : general technique? : Re: general technique? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general technique?
From: nemesis
Date: 31 Jan 2008 14:23:55
Message: <47a2204b@news.povray.org>
H@@kon wrote:
> Hello!

hi there!  welcome!

> The most breathtaking pictures are using a lof of hours rendering, some a whole
> day.
> how do you make these pictures?

We begin by reading the whole povray manual and included tutorial... ;)

Actually, I guess most of us do it by small steps:  add a few geometries
to the scene, render it in low quality settings to get a hold of how
it's turning out, then add a few more, tweak the textures, the lighting,
the camera positioning, general settings etc.  One small step at a time.

Pictures that take hours or days are called "final renders".  We feel
good about how it's turning out and feel confident enough to turn on all
expensive features at the same time with the highest resolutions and
best antialiasing... we turn it all on and then go to sleep while povray
works... well, actually, some of us keep wake up as we contort ourselves
to every few pixels updated on screen... :P

You should keep in mind that povray is loaded with lots of defaults and
that a povray scene always consists of at least one geometric object,
one light source and a camera.  One of these defaults is a camera
located in 0 (same as <0,0,0>)) and pointing to 0.  Then, this is a
pretty complete scene:

sphere {0,1 pigment {rgb 1}}
light_source {4-8*z 1}

which is a radius 1 sphere at origin and white (1) color, illuminated by
a white light positioned at <4,4,4>-<0,0,8>.  Now it's up to you... :)