POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies : Re: Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell goodies
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Jan 2008 11:52:19
Message: <47a1fcc3$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:33:38 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> I never did understand how travel is supposed to teach you anything.
>>> (Other than how to feel lost and afraid - which I already know how to
>>> do.)
>>
>> Going places and interacting with people teaches you about how people
>> behave.
>
> Interesting. IME, "travel" involves sitting in a moving vehicle for
> hours feeling bored and uncomfortable. And let's put it this way: I
> can't interact with people who speak my own language. How am I supposed
> to get anywhere with people who don't even know what I'm saying?

English is understood in many parts of the world.  I was in Barcelona a
few years back, and thought I'd demonstrate my skills by speaking
Spanish.  You know what?  They don't speak Spanish in Barcelona - they
speak Catalan, which is a hybrid variant of Spanish and French.

I still managed to communicate effectively enough to find what I was
looking for.

Similarly, when I was in Russia, I managed to get by just fine, even in
situations where the person I was talking to spoke no English at all -
and I don't speak Russian.  If anything, in many foreign countries,
people are more forgiving if you (a) make an effort to try to say
something in their language, and (b) often times will take advantage of
the opportunity to practice their English skills, which very frequently
are very good.

I evaluate prospective instructors in English; I've evaluated instructors
from Pakistan, most of Europe, Latin America, South America, and I've got
one next month from China.  I've been very impressed at how well most of
them speak English, given it's a second language for them.

> (I was about to add "and probably don't like me", but then I remembered
> that that's normal anyway...)

I call bullshit, Andy.  You may not realize it, but there are plenty of
people who like you.  I've told you before, I don't interact with people
I don't like, and I'm interacting with you.  That offer to go out for a
Dr. Pepper when we're next over in the UK is still on, BTW.

Unfortunately, it's still going to be a little bit before I actually get
there, what with the US economy being tanked at the moment (and the
exchange rates being great for those from Europe coming over here but not
so good for those from the US going to visit in Europe).

Don't assume that people who have never met you don't like you.  Remember
what "assume" means.

Jim