POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Job offers from Sony Pictures (raytracing and rendering programming) : Re: Job offers from Sony Pictures (raytracing and rendering programming) Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Job offers from Sony Pictures (raytracing and rendering programming)
From: Warp
Date: 31 Jan 2008 05:31:14
Message: <47a1a372@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Required Skills:
>     * C/C++
>     * Linux (RedHat/Centos)
>     * 3d graphics math
>     * OpenGL and graphics cards

  That's a very tempting job offer, but such job offers always crash
because of one thing: They require fluent spoken English skills and good
communication skills.

  I can understand spoken and written English perfectly, and I can write
English quite fluently, but I can't speak English fluently. This is something
which would get improved very fast if I was forced to speak in English in
an English-only country. I estimate that in 3-4 months I would be able to
speak English quite fluently. However, this doesn't help in interviews.

  I have already been turned down from a software developer job at Ubisoft
because of this. I would have otherwise been more than qualified. (I know
this because I had a friend working there and he told me this, past the
official explanations.)

  Of course that was just one case, and other companies may be more
understanding. However, such job usually requires moving abroad, which
is always a huge change in life. It's not something one would do quite
lightly.

--
                                                          - Warp