POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question of the day... : Re: Question of the day... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question of the day...
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2008 00:50:30
Message: <47a161a6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Ok, then tell me how most of what gets called "spin" in politics isn't
> exactly what is described.

"Spin" in politics is actually lying. But politicians call it "spin"
because lying doesn't sound good.

It's like the difference between bribes and grease.

"Spin" is what the trial lawyer does. Defense calls it "the alleged
footprint", and prosecution calls it "the incriminating glove", but
they're both the same thing. Prosecution asks their own expert witness
how many years of experience he has (many, but no formal education), and
asks the defense's experts whether they have college degrees in the
subject (none, but lots of experience).

The one currently amusing me is how many people use the expression "UFO"
to mean "alien spaceship".    "See? The government admits there are UFOs!"

> Seriously though, you have some good points. The presumption though is
> that the liar *knows* the truth and opts to say something else, not that
> they only *think* they know.

Hard to say. That would imply someone *does* know the truth.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?