POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies : Re: Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell goodies
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2008 00:32:45
Message: <47a15d7d$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> There will always be statements that can not be proven within a
> set of axioms and theories.

The one part of this I've never figured out is...

How can you say something is unprovable if you can give a constructive
proof of how to generate that which you claim your formal system can't
generate?

It seems either you have to step outside the system to generate the
unprovable string, or the string really isn't unprovable within the
system and you're relying on intuition to "prove" it's unprovable.

Can someone clear that bit up for me?

[1] Yes, I bothered to fire up the non-English-character utility this
time. :-)
--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?