POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text to paths : Re: Text to paths Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text to paths
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 30 Jan 2008 17:05:42
Message: <47a0f4b6$1@news.povray.org>
>I know I've asked a similar question before, but it's been a while, and I'd
> prefer a new thread that I can browse to quickly.
>
> When attaching text to a path (such as a spline or other function) is
> whitespace
> taken into account? E.g., are the proper whitespace rules followed, so
> that the
> transition from one character to the next is the same as it normally is?

If you are using Spline_Trans to place letters then the spacing
is up to you...
In some spline with a time index, the distance between points
at regular time intervals is not required to be spaced evenly.

Here's a macro to determine the length of a portion of a spline...

// calculate the length of a spline
#macro Len_Spline(Espl begin_at stop_at num)
   #local c = 1/num;
   #local V1 = Espl(begin_at);
   #local result = 0;
   #while (c <= 1)
      #local V2 = Espl( c*(stop_at - begin_at) + begin_at);
      #local result = result + vlength(V2-V1);
      #local V1 = V2;
      #local c = c + 1/num;
   #end
   (result)