POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VS Express editions? : Re: VS Express editions? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VS Express editions?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Jan 2008 17:02:41
Message: <47a0f401@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Anybody played with them. I realize there are relatively few on here who
> actually like MS products, but I want to hear other peoples opinions of
> MS's free versions of their dev tools.

I installed VS C++ 2005, and immediately found that I could not set it
to assume that all strings were ASCII strings; I had to specifically
call the API function that is decorated with 'A' to specify that;
Bloodshed and OpenWatcom allow you to specify the string type with one
compiler setting, and the compiler automagically decorates them for you.

After editing all of the sources to put in what the compiler will not
let me assume, it then failed to recognize another API call during the
link phase.

I already have two C++ compilers that work just fine (Bloodshed and
OpenWatcom), so getting MS to work is just too much trouble.

Regards,
John