POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new news client : Re: new news client Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new news client
From: Alain
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:23:48
Message: <47a0c0b4$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/30 12:59:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>>> At what point was that? Even MS-DOS let you have extensionless files.
>>
>> Heck, CP/M let you have extensionless files. :-)
>
> yes, for old systems like Unix and all, extensions are just part of the
> name, nothing special.  I was under the impression that on Windows it
> was just another artificial limitation imposed on users, like GUIs and
> dialog boxes...
Old name storage limitation when the names where in the 8.3 format. 8 characters
for the name, of whitch you must use from 1 to 8, and an extention for an extra
3 characters for the extention, hence the term "extention". Those could cary 0
to 3 characters. The content of the extention is purely arbitrary, with some
having specific, reserved, signification.

--
Alain
Sometimes my love of the arcane combines with my askew humor to make me