POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: andrel
Date: 24 Feb 2008 20:24:32
Message: <47C218E4.3020008@hotmail.com>
somebody wrote:
> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:48:03 -0700, somebody wrote:
>
>>> I don't care. A thousand years is as meaningless to me as 100 billion
>>> years.
>
>> You don't think we owe it to future generations to leave them a habitable
>> planet?
>
> No. I never signed a contractual agreement with future generations one way
> or the other. But more importantly, I won't exist after I die, much as I did
> not before I was born. It's superstitious to contemplate outside of one's
> existence. Future guilt is the modern day equivalent of original sin - both
> are religious nonsense.

I think that is going to get you in serious trouble if you want to
behave ethically. For ethics a longterm view is necessary. Either by
believing in something that transcends your life in the form of a god or
e.g. an obligation to add to the survival and happiness of humanity. The
way you put it any ethical consideration is external. As in: "I don't
steal or murder because I might get in jail for that". Implying also
that it is OK if you don't get caught. So, would you rob someone if you
know for sure that you won't get caught? If not, I would be interested
in the fundamental reason why you wouldn't.