POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not again, Bill! : Re: Not again, Bill! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not again, Bill!
From: andrel
Date: 23 Feb 2008 07:54:55
Message: <47C017B2.2020407@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
>> Antivirus, anti-malware and firewall should be an integral and irreplacable
>> part of the OS, for any modern OS.
>
>   Firewall yes, but as for antivirus and anti-malware the better solution
> is to design the OS so that they have hard time working at all.

There are those who think that MS windows was designed in such a way
that everybody has a hard time working with it at all, but I guess that
is not what you meant.

>   OTOH, IMO you should have a choice of those software instead of the OS
> forcing something on you.

And any solution should be open source, so that we can all verify that
there are obviously no bugs*. Aside, one of the problems is that it has
become unclear as to what an OS is. I don't think a text editor is part
of it, nor is a card game, yet there are companies who try to make us
think differently. Device drivers are part of an OS, but is a firewall
part of a device driver? Possibly and perhaps even preferably. Anti
virus and anti malware have to look at the content of the messages, so I
agree, not an integral part of an OS. Yet nowadays you can not afford to
sell one without, but if you can change it afterwards you open the gates
for anything. Unless it is implemented in such a way that it can not go
unnoticed. Like in recompiling and installing a new kernel.

* Two ways to write a program:
(1) Make it so simple that there are obviously no errors.
(2) Make it so complicated that there are no obvious errors.
	David Gries