POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solve this... : Re: Solve this... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solve this...
From: andrel
Date: 1 Feb 2008 15:50:30
Message: <47A38625.70203@hotmail.com>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> andrel escribió:
>> With a conical answer of: 'Why the "?"?'?
>
> Nitpick: afaik, quotes are supposed to be used the other way around.
> First double quotes.
Not in Matlab, and that is what I write most. I could have gone for
double quotes in stead of double quotes (English might be a bit
ambiguous here) and written '''''?''''?''?'*. Yet, I think I liked the
regular '?' better.

> With a coMical answer of: "Why the '?'?"?
Intended was canonical but it could have been a typo for that as well.

> Or use <q> HTML tag (ass-u-ming the browser supports it), which
> (standard says) will put the correct quotes for the current language,
> even handling nesting.
Using <q> would have spoiled the effect of having a string (no pun
intended) of punctuation marks.

* This is getting to look like some of our old matlab code. In matlab
you have callback strings that are interpreted as commands, so they can
contain functions with strings as parameters, some of which are commands
in itself... I think we had pathological cases of 16 quotes in a row. I
am glad I changed my style a bit.