POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies : Re: Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell goodies
From: andrel
Date: 31 Jan 2008 16:40:01
Message: <47A24040.5070102@hotmail.com>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> There will always be statements that can not be proven within a set of
>> axioms and theories.
>
> The one part of this I've never figured out is...

IIRC it is one of those proofs where you assume something is possible.
Then you construct the most general way to do it and finally conclude
that in all circumstances you run into contradictions. Hence the
assumption that it is possible must be false.

> How can you say something is unprovable if you can give a constructive
> proof of how to generate that which you claim your formal system can't
> generate?
>
> It seems either you have to step outside the system to generate the
> unprovable string, or the string really isn't unprovable within the
> system and you're relying on intuition to "prove" it's unprovable.
>
> Can someone clear that bit up for me?
>

> [1] Yes, I bothered to fire up the non-English-character utility this
> time. :-)

I seem to remember that the Germans were going to abolish all umlauts in
favor of an 'e' after the vowel, in order to conform to 'international'
practices (mainly those in Redmont). Any Germans out there to assure me
that was only a nightmare?
Not sure anyway if that rule would apply to non-resident Germans and
dead ones as well...Returning from google, he wasn't a German, so his
name will be safe for future generations.