POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies : Re: Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell goodies
From: andrel
Date: 30 Jan 2008 16:45:20
Message: <47A0EFFD.3030000@hotmail.com>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
> Darren New wrote:

>>> Nope, in French the letters "er" at the end of words are generally

>> So why are the first two sounds different?
>>

> In fact they are not really different :-)
>
> I guess they transcribed it in this way because of the neighbouring "i"
> that blends with the last sound a bit. On the other hand I'm not a
> native English speaker so the transcription is not easy for me to
> interpret...

It may be subtle but I think the 'er' indicates that after the 'ay'
sound the vowel is cut off. But then again, I am not a native speaker.

> "i" (pronounced as in "fit"). I don't know if that sort of sound is
> common in English, I can't find any good example right now...

that may be because both are close to my native 'ee'. And yes I do
pronounce it quite often as my first name IRL ends in one. Name borrowed
from the French.

> and none of the numerous variants in English :-)

You mean that there are no dialects in France?