POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature un-request : Re: Feature un-request Server Time
2 May 2024 21:41:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature un-request
From: Warp
Date: 29 Jan 2008 11:29:53
Message: <479f5481@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>   My point is that it should be possible to define a sphere or a plane
> in the SDL.

  It is, using an isosurface or a poly object.

> But keep the ability for the SDL to define new shapes, new textures, new
> light sources, etc.

  A shader language is one of the ideas for pov4. It's not mutually
exclusive with existing textures.

> BTW, I implemented a quick raytracer in Smalltalk and rendered a simple
> scene only 5 times slower than POVRay

  It's relatively easy to make a raytracer in any language which renders
a *simple* scene in a comparable time. However, put for example 100000
spheres in that scene and them compare. ;)

--
                                                          - Warp