POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature un-request : Re: Feature un-request Server Time
2 May 2024 22:33:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature un-request
From: nemesis
Date: 29 Jan 2008 10:36:46
Message: <479f480e$1@news.povray.org>
I don't want to get into an argument with povray's father, but...

David Buck wrote:
> POV-Ray should be a small simple engine to render user-defined shapes
> with user-defined textures and user-defined light sources.  To make them
> user defined, you have to push them from the cryptic and inaccessible C
> source into the SDL.

but aren't functions already available for user-defined shapes and
textures?  Aren't isosurfaces slower to calculate than the quadratic
primitives?  Isn't SDL parsing time an aditional problem?

> Less is more - take advantage of that.

yes, but optimized solutions are good too.  C is very good at that.
Besides, all renderers I know of offer the quadratic geometric
primitives for granted, including Renderman.

I see no reason why user-defined and slower shapes, textures or shaders
should take precedence over well-known and optimized builtin techniques
for rendering quadratics, phong shading and company...

certainly, it'd be cool to have user-defined shaders, but also keep with
the oldies and fasties...