POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. : Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post.
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 29 Jan 2008 04:33:01
Message: <479ef2cd$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
>> It's always good to strip them down and blow the dust out of them from
>> time to time.  They don't like dust.
>
> Oh! Yes they do :)

Well yes, they love sucking it in, they just don't know that it's bad
for them. :P

>> Oh yeah, if you do take it apart, I can almost guarantee that you'll
>> wind up with stray screws when you put it back together.  I swear,
>> laptops have dynamic screw holes; they reposition themselves at will
>> just to mess with your head.
>
> There is a secret to that you know?

I'm still discovering the Zen of Dismantling Laptops, so no.

I don't have a problem with Dells so much, mainly because they have
service manuals on their site, free for public consumption.

The only thing I've ever done was remove the keyboard on mine to blow
out the gunk between the keys and I've gotta say, it's a lot easier to
do that on Dells than most of the other laptops I've taken apart.  I've
taken the keyboard off on a Latitude D610 and my own Inspiron 9300 and
it's just a matter of taking off the bezel above the keyboard,
unscrewing a couple of screws, and lifting up the keyboard.  I like it! :)

> I've worked with a few ex-forces types and you can imagine what a couple of lest
> over nuts and bolts mean on a war plane :)

Yes yes, you definitely don't want to be sitting in a cockpit and have
your plane disassemble itself while you're flying faster than the speed
of sound. :)

> Try 500 Volt 3 phase F'n Ouch :)

I'll take your word for it, k? ;)

>> It's not really a college, it's job training.  This is basically my job
>> right now.  I can't complain, I get paid to come here. :)
>
> No you can't but is it usual to train during those hours? I've worked
> continental shifts (3 shifts per 24 hrs) and day/night shift. I've never heard
> of training from 17:00 to 02:00.

I'm not really sure; this is my only time doing any sort of job training
like this.

If the class schedules are as packed as they are now, I'm sure it's
almost a requirement for them.  There are only three or four classrooms
available, large enough for up to ten students each.  They also recently
went on a recruiting campaign, so that probably brought forty or fifty
people down here.

The graduation rate definitely isn't 100%, either; one of the people in
my class ended up failing tonight.  It was kind of strange how quick it
was -- we went out for break and when we came back he wasn't there.

>>> I would need to go into "Nightshift" mode. How do you cope with that?
>> It took about a week for my body to adjust, I'd say.  I just started
>> going to bed later and later until I'd gotten myself on a 4am-12pm sleep
>> schedule (or something along those lines).
>>
>> It actually took longer for my stomach to adapt.  When I first started I
>> suddenly started getting a voracious appetite  Thankfully, it's curbed
>> itself back down to normal now. :)
>
> My stomach comes with me. I eat breakfast when I get up and dinner after work.
> Quite a few people I worked with left their stomachs on dayshift. Dinner when
> they woke up and breakfast before going to bed. (I'm talking about when I worked
> offshore. It is a closed community and you know what everyone is doing.)

Yeah, it's kind of weird for some people when they change schedules.

The problem that I had was when to eat.  Do I eat before work?  During
my lunch break?  After work?

Eating two meals seems to work for me.  I eat once before I go in and
once during my lunch break.  After I get back to the hotel, I act as
though I'm in my final stretch before bedtime, not eating unless I'm
really hungry.  It seems to work all right for me.

--
-Ian