POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray: Photons: save_file: Continue? : Re: POV-Ray: Photons: save_file: Continue? Server Time
2 May 2024 20:43:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray: Photons: save_file: Continue?
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 26 Jan 2008 21:02:54
Message: <479be64e@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski escribió:
 > YES!!! That would be fine! In addition, you would be free to use the
items inside there for your own scenes, I do not mind.

 > Specs:
 > - Intel Pentium DualCore 3.06 GH CPU
 > - 2,048 MB RAM (2 GB RAM)
 > - Scene File Output Resolution: 3,200 x 2,400 pixels

My computer is an AMD Dual Core 4200+ 2.20GHz, 2GB of RAM. So I guess
it's slower... And I think I have higher chance of a power outage than you.

 > Do you know about "Render Farm" software?

*I have a renderfarm* currently hosted on IMP (Internet Movie Project)
server. There's somebody attached with some 8-core machines! Although he
has some powerful Macs, and I never got round to compiling POV-Ray (with
my patches) for Mac, so there's some unused power.

http://impfarm.imp.org/boinc/hosts_user.php?userid=36

One problem is that photon mapping *can't* be distributed, in the sense
that we can't lower the time it takes by throwing more computers into
it. At least not without modifying POV source in areas I wouldn't dare
touch. Although, even if it was possible, it would need a lot of network
bandwidth for all computers to exchange the parts of the photon map they
computed, before doing the render...

So, each computer would need to compute the photon map completely. And
since it can't be resumed, that may be a problem for some users who
wouldn't keep their computers running for 6 days...

<PovAddict> somebody on povray newsgroups has a scene that takes 6 days
to do a pre-computation that cannot be resumed, I'm wondering if it
would be acceptable for imp@home to have WUs that spend 6 days computing
without being able to checkpoint at all
<KathrynM> are you crazy?
<PovAddict> :D
<Rookie_69> That's why he comes here.

Hmm yeah it may be a problem.

And then there is the RAM usage. POV-Ray keeps the whole photon map
loaded in RAM. There are sub-2GB machines that won't be able to
participate. Plus, are you sure exactly how much memory the scene will
use? I think that's impossible to know without computing the whole
photon map and checking the statistics at the end of the render.

PS: I tried to email you, removing the obvious anti-spam measures, but
it immediately bounced back, saying "invalid address".