POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question of the day... : Re: Question of the day... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question of the day...
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2008 19:00:56
Message: <479bc9b8$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> All unicorns are chartreuse,

That's correct, as is "no unicorns are chartreuse". "All unicorns" is
read as "all unicorns which exist ..." And since there are no unicorns,
saying "no unicorns have property X" is true also - X(unicorn) is false
for every unicorn you can supply.

I'm not sure, however, that it's right to say "some unicorns are
chartreuse". If you say "some unicorns are chartreuse", I can say "point
to one". "Some unicorns are X" is the same as "There exists at least one
unicorn which is X."

I think your philosophy professor was wrong. Mine was, several times.
The midterm paper I did was pointing out the relatively simple flaw in
the paper he'd had published in some peer-reviewed journal of
philosophy.  It was kind of obvious to me, being someone who is good at
finding bugs in software, that what he was saying was trivially
disprovable with a simple example. That man had a very odd brain.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?