POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inspiration and/or coincidence : Re: Inspiration and/or coincidence Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inspiration and/or coincidence
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 26 Jan 2008 12:29:32
Message: <479b6dfc$1@news.povray.org>

web.479b5b2f2801d61a743af2f90@news.povray.org...
> "Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> You can try this direct link to the studio that made the commercial.
>> You'll
>> need QuickTime though, but at least there are some screenshots.
>> http://www.methodstudios.com/project/973.html
>
> whoa!  Thanks!  It works well with mplayer...
>
> Well, inspiration or coincidence, you gotta agree the movies is truly
> cool!  If
> only you had a multimillion renderfarm at the time to put that giant to
> move,
> huh?

Yes, it's cool. There has been many commercials made with Massive, all
featuring thousands of running people. I actually did some animation tests
using POV-Ray's instanciation in the early 2000s, particularly with Poser
horses as I had a complete gallop cycle. The results were interesting but
not worth the amount of work and processing power needed :(

> I only feel bad that so many great CGI is just used to sell stuff or make
> Hollywood blockbusters...

That's unavoidable. CGI of that quality requires lots of different skills,
which means assembling full teams of highly-trained people who work for
those who can afford them, i.e. the movie and advertising industries. The
fun thing is that great art from the previous centuries was often made for
advertising too, except that the "products" were kings, policies or religion
rather than beer and toothpaste.

> BTW, in that Wet Bird reconstruction, I find it funny that passage of time
> from
> then to now is clearly shown in the updated car models.

To be fair, in 2000 I just used the few free car models I had been able to
find so I wasn't too demanding about historical accuracy... The Bryce
version has better models (including the Chrysler building).

> And speaking of povray-inspired reconstructions, Tor Olav Kristensen might
> want
> to check it out:
> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109117

TOK's version is still the best one so far. It's surprising that they
couldn't get better results from Indigo and co.

G.