POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video editing : Re: Video editing Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video editing
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 23 Jan 2008 22:07:20
Message: <479800e8$1@news.povray.org>

> Well, *you* try finding software that will encode it. (Without paying
> money.) Plenty of decoders, no (free) encoders.

I have always used open-source decoders and encoders after my TMPGEnc
trial period finished. Finding MPEG2 encoders is easy.

> And it's not just MPEG-2. A playable DVD requires a particular file
> structure and lots of metadata. (And a root menu...) I hear it's
> possible to build a usable video DVD using k3b, but after the first
> dozen pages of the HOWTO I decided it was just way too complicated.

Now, *that* is the hard part. And this is the reason why it's hard to
find good and cheap software:

To develop a DVD application (software or hardware), one must first
licence the particular book of DVD specifications from DVD Format/Logo
Licensing Corporation, a Japanese corporation. The different DVD formats
have different books; each book contains hundreds of pages and costs
approximately $5000. After obtaining this licence, the developer is
required to become a licensee which requires an additional fee. Without
becoming a licensee, the book can be used only for reference, not for
actual creation of DVD applications.

(source: wikipedia/"DVD authoring")