POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 18:53:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Warp
Date: 23 Jan 2008 03:57:12
Message: <47970168@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> 2CPU.com - The one stop source for everything SMP!
> (http://www.2cpu.com/story.php?id=3946)
> BorisFX, HollywoodFX, and lots of other effects plug-ins use the GPU,
> too. ... But even a single-core CPU can render most effects in
> real-time, these days, ...

  Uh? It's talking about video encoding. That is, converting a series
of still images into a MPEG-2/MPEG-4 stream. It has nothing to do with
raytracing (or even scanline rendering).

> [PDF]CPU-GPU Hybrid Real Time Ray Tracing Framework
> (http://www.uni-weimar.de/cms/fileadmin/medien/vr/documents/Dokus/rtrt-paper.pdf)
> ing the overall rendering into five render-passes. We there-. fore use
> the GPU wherever possible and only assign our fast. CPU Ray Tracing
> algorithm where ...

  Looks to me like theoretical "perhaps it could be done a bit like this"
experimental paper.

  "The depth of reection is currently limited to one and due to the current
implementation our framework provides only one directional light."

  "The overall performance of our framework closely depends on the amount
of secondary rays red by the Ray Tracer, while the GPU will mostly remain
under-worked. As a final result Figure 6 illustrates the computation times
of each render-pass and faces GPU and CPU. As expected the render-time is
limited by the CPU which obviously is the bottle-neck of our algorithm."

  And as far as I can see this was a very specialized (and limited)
raytracing algorithms which only supports triangles and GPU textures.
Mostly useless for a generic raytracer like POV-Ray.

> [PPT]Implementing the Render Cache and the Edge-and-Point Image on ...
> (http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~eva5/ppt/epiGPU06.ppt)
> We wanted to use Vertex Texture Fetch (VTF) for mapping the point cloud
> update but ... We presented a hybrid GPU/CPU system for the Render Cache
> and the EPI ...

  It doesn't seem to be talking about raytracing at all. Also, whatever
it's talking about, seems to be limited to what the GPU supports, ie.
triangles and GPU textures. Mostly useless for a generic raytracer.

> www.gpgpu.org :: View topic - Problem with CPU-GPU parallel processing
> (http://gpgpu.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4783)
> Hi, I am trying to render a bloodtree data set. I use both CPU and GPU
> to do this. ...

  Is not talking about raytracing at all.

> [PDF]The GPU as a high performance computational resource
> (http://www.math.sintef.no/gpu/pdf/Dokken_SCCG_2005.pdf)
> CPU and GPU provided that the results can reside in the GPU. .... this
> efficiently we use the GPU to sample and evaluate the

  Is not talking about raytracing at all. Seems to be talking about how
the GPU might be used for things like image processing, solving
differential equations and linear algebra. These are completely different
(and, from the point of view of the GPU, much simpler) things than generic
raytracing.

> looks like many people are doing it, all over the world, so i think the
> general answer is: yes.

  Only one of the pages you listed talked about raytracing, and even it
was limited (only triangles, only GPU textures, the CPU as a bit bottleneck,
the example implementation supported only one reflection and one light
source). The rest had nothing to do with the subject.

  The general answer is still no.

--
                                                          - Warp