POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 18:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 22 Jan 2008 23:29:30
Message: <4796c2aa@news.povray.org>

> leope <leo### [at] liberoit> wrote:
>> The general answer is: Yes.
>
>   The *general* answer is yes and then you give *one* isolated case where
> hardware is used for rendering by unknown (proprietary) means?
>
>   The general answer is still no.

Search Criterion on Google: use the GPU as well as the CPU to render

If you click here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=use+the+GPU+as+well+as+the+CPU+to+render&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:unofficial

you find some of these:

2CPU.com - The one stop source for everything SMP!
(http://www.2cpu.com/story.php?id=3946)
BorisFX, HollywoodFX, and lots of other effects plug-ins use the GPU,
too. ... But even a single-core CPU can render most effects in
real-time, these days, ...

[PDF]CPU-GPU Hybrid Real Time Ray Tracing Framework
(http://www.uni-weimar.de/cms/fileadmin/medien/vr/documents/Dokus/rtrt-paper.pdf)
ing the overall rendering into five render-passes. We there-. fore use
the GPU wherever possible and only assign our fast. CPU Ray Tracing
algorithm where ...

[PPT]Implementing the Render Cache and the Edge-and-Point Image on ...
(http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~eva5/ppt/epiGPU06.ppt)
We wanted to use Vertex Texture Fetch (VTF) for mapping the point cloud
update but ... We presented a hybrid GPU/CPU system for the Render Cache
and the EPI ...

www.gpgpu.org :: View topic - Problem with CPU-GPU parallel processing
(http://gpgpu.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4783)
Hi, I am trying to render a bloodtree data set. I use both CPU and GPU
to do this. ...

[PDF]The GPU as a high performance computational resource
(http://www.math.sintef.no/gpu/pdf/Dokken_SCCG_2005.pdf)
CPU and GPU provided that the results can reside in the GPU. .... this
efficiently we use the GPU to sample and evaluate the

and there are other 9 pages on goggle over this.

looks like many people are doing it, all over the world, so i think the
general answer is: yes.