POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. : Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post.
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 22 Jan 2008 13:07:54
Message: <479630fa$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
>>> It must make you feel poor.
>> I wouldn't go that far but it has been quite an adjustment.
>
> I forgot the smiley

Here, have mine: :)

>> One nice thing about it is that it sort of gives me some company.  See,
>> I dislike shopping alone in a lot of cases because I find it boring.
>> When there's someone with me, it kind of balances me out a bit.  It's weird.
>
> I often work in teams and a couple of years ago we went to Pittsburgh for a
> project kick-off. Strange shopping with other people I hate shopping :).

Haha, yeah, I guess it kind of depends on who I'm with.

There are some cases where I do prefer to go alone.  I ended up buying a
camera the other day (Nikon D40, so I can finally stop using my crappy
cell phone camera) and I doubt I would have sprinted in and out as
quickly as I did if I'd had someone there.  Odds are I would have wound
up spending more money. :S  External influence can be a bad thing in
some cases.

>>> Yup! And that is not counting the "congestion charge".
>> Whaaaaaaaat? :(
>>
>> That doesn't sound cool at all...
>
> Don't sleep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge
> I heard that New York was thinking of trying it.
> BTW I approve of it, travelling in London has improved since it was introduced
> IMHO

I dunno...seems a little steep to me.

I'm really not sure if that would work in the States.  I'm just thinking
of all the people who have hour-plus commutes and the relatively poor
public transit systems in a lot of areas.  I'm fairly ignorant about
daily life in Europe (for obvious reasons :P), so I don't know about the
situation in various parts overseas.

>>> I generally park in China
>>> Town, where you can get half price parking if you are going to the theatre or
>>> buy a meal in a supporting restaurant.
>> Eh, it sure beats dishing out four quid per hour for parking.
>
> That is for on street parking

Ouch. O.O

--
-Ian