POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pachelbel Rant : Re: Pachelbel Rant Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pachelbel Rant
From: Jim Charter
Date: 21 Jan 2008 19:33:50
Message: <479539ee$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>  > While I haven't read the book, I talked to my brother who had.
>  > According to what he said, you're incorrect. Many people react the
>  > same way to music, inside the brain at least.
>  >

> I'm no expert, but this doesn't "ring true." I feel like I have
> completely different reactions "inside the brain" to different types of
> music and that non-music things sometimes produce identical reactions to
> some types of music. So, everyone's reacting to "music" in such a
> universal way seems impossible. I suppose much depends on the "music"
> used in the study. I could buy that most people react the same way to
> Wagner ... but to Ween??
>
> -Shay

You can have completely different reactions to different types of music
but how do you know what components or the reaction are brain dependent.
  I mean two people may react differently to music, even to the point
where one doesn't even recognize the stimulus *as* being music, yet
there may still be commonalities in how their brain function is
affected.  It has always been my naive belief, for instance, that
classical music with its pace and intricacies appealed more to the mind,
while rock with its pounding rhythms was more addressed to the body,
(even to the point of perceiving rock music directly through the tactile
sensors of the body.) Now I can even imagine that those different styles
actually induce activities in the brain in different ways in connection
with the different characteristics and qualities of the music.  But I
can also imagine that those same brain patterns are the same in widely
different people, and can still lead to very different interpretations
of the stimulus, including if it is music at all, if it is music I like,
if it is music that suits my present mood etc.  Maybe some people or
some cultures don't like having their pelvises awakened.  Or maybe, as
Warp points out, they never learned that this stimulus was supposed to
have that effect.  Yet their brain could be reacting just like the other
guys brain.

Hoping Darren keeps us updated on this book.