POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lucky to have seen it. --Music : Lucky to have seen it. --Music Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Lucky to have seen it. --Music
From: Shay
Date: 20 Jan 2008 18:17:00
Message: <4793d66c$1@news.povray.org>
Went out with Carrie Ann(Wife) last night to a bar/coffeehouse in
Houston called
Notsuoh (Notice anything about that name).

First act was a Houston local, Sabra Laval.
http://www.myspace.com/sabralaval
Beautiful voice. Standard "Dream Pop" stuff in the Hope Sandoval vein.
This is the act I believe everyone had come for. Crowd was happy and
mostly paying attention.

Next up was one of two acts from California, Virgin Rosemary.
http://tinyurl.com/2huxyy
A guy in an elaborate skin and feather mask playing a cross between Tiny
Tim and Emo Phillips. He played a short set and got the expected laughs
and smiles, but also thinned the crowd a little.

Now the second CA act, the point of this post, Dead Western.
http://www.myspace.com/50690003
"Dead Western" played around with his equipment a bit, chatted with the
crowd, and then completely isolated himself from the audience by staring
straight at the ceiling and contorting his face, neck, and body into a
position which allowed him to produce a voice very different from his
own. Thus entered into this character, he sang a series of slow ballads
which pushed half the crowd out the door and the majority of what remained
to the furthest point in the room from the stage. Virgin Rosemary,
Carrie Ann, and I were the only one's listening, and Carrie Ann was just
being polite.

But Dead Western kept going, shouting to quiet the talkers at the
beginning of each song. And over time, the atmosphere in the room
transformed until every single person was silent and watching very
intently. Dead Western played a last song at least five times; After
each the room plead for another. When he would no longer comply, the
crowd insisted he play one of his albums on the bar's record player.

Very much like tales I've heard about Daniel Johnston shows.

  -Shay