POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pachelbel Rant : Re: Pachelbel Rant Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pachelbel Rant
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 20 Jan 2008 16:10:17
Message: <4793b8b9$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> structure, texture, rhythm and color alone don't make good music.  There should
> be harmonic progression.  Coherent harmonic progression.  atonal music fails
> here...

I'll admit that I'm rather surprised that you a consider coherent
harmonic progression to be a necessary criteria for music to be good.
That seems to be far too restrictive to me, and I don't understand why a
harmonic progression would be so important at a fundamental level.  That
seems rather to me like saying that good poetry should have a coherent
rhyme pattern.

Where do you place something like the prelude to Das Rheingold, which
while tonal has essentially no harmonic progression and is essentially a
work dealing with orchestral texture?  On the other end, what about
something like Rite of Spring which has a tonal structure, but one which
takes many more liberties than in traditional classical music?