POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: andrel
Date: 19 Jan 2008 06:20:32
Message: <4791DD0D.4050504@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> 2) Some ten years ago we wanted to throw a big party and a son of a
>> colleague of ours proposed to organize the music. He had played DJ at
>> many (school)parties, was interested in various kinds of music, had some
>> equipment and could easily arrange for the rest. We talked a bit to him
>> while organizing the party. It turned out that he had never heard of the
>> Beatles (he was about 17 years old at that time). That resulted in the
>> same lower jaw movement as your apparent unfamiliarity with e.g.
>> stallman, jobs and brown.
>
>   I can't even imagine how someone who listens and plays music as a hobby
> (I assume for several years) has never heard of a music group which
> basically every westerner and the majority of the rest of the world has
> heard about.
Indeed, so at first we assumed he was kidding. He wasn't.

>   OTOH, it could be explained by really bad memory. There are those people...

No not that either. My best guess was and is that he listened to and
played music without ever realizing that contemporary music is
influenced by and a reaction to what was before. Indeed you can listen
to the radio and appreciate it here and now (like Andy does with
computers) but to understand what is going on, how they did it and why
you need some historical perspective. Just reading a magazine now and
then would suffice for that. Or so I though until I met this guy. Andy
might give another part of the explanation. Even if you read about music
you can skip the names of all those medieval musicians (like Bach,
Presley and Beatles), because they are surely not relevant for what is
going on now.