POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New web design mock-up : Re: New web design mock-up Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New web design mock-up
From: Rune
Date: 18 Jan 2008 22:32:13
Message: <47916f3d$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" wrote:
> You might differ scale or location possibly, to give slightly less play
> but retain the humanizing function.

I have tried that now in several variations, but it just keeps turning out
looking like some slick design ripped apart and clumsily recombined.

Like here: http://runevision.com/temp/design_sketch_alternative.png
I had to basically mirror the whole design to get just a remotely balanced
layout, and even then it still looks bad. Maybe I have lost the ability to
look at it neutrally.

> There is also the opportunity, perhaps, to vary it from page to page, add
> a little humour or irony, or develop a kind of plot through out the site.

Humour is a good way to dodge the issue of narcissism, since it effectively
destroy any suspicion that you take yourself too seriously. I was already
aware of that, since my "branding strategy" is partly inspired by this site
(http://tinysubversions.blogspot.com), which also features a prominently
placed drawn portrait. This one, however, is a caricature, and I noticed
that this avoids the issues I am having now.

I didn't want to use a caricature myself, and so I didn't quite know how to
get some humour into it. Your idea of putting in variations is something
I'll think some more about. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com