POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any Java experts? : Re: Any Java experts? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any Java experts?
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 18 Jan 2008 11:41:55
Message: <4790d6d3@news.povray.org>
news:47901c1d$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
> > Is there anyone who can tell me why the following code sometimes (not
> > always) throws a NullPointerException
> > Using Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_02-b06)
> >
> > Node currentNode = Universe.space[i][j]; // Have checked and this is
never
> > null.
>
> Then you should have an assertion in there to that effect. :-)

Could, but the way the initialisation of the Universe works, if any Node was
null, things would break a lot earlier than this.
I have print statements. Removed from post for clarity.

> > And here's an abbreviated version of the Node class.
>
> Your exception isn't being caused at this line. Or your JVM is broken.

Both are possibilities I've considered.

> Or currentNode is winding up a subclass of Node with different code.

Nothing inherits from Node.

> Print everything just before you get there, or wrap the whole
> questionable chunk in a try/catch and print out everything when it throws.

I'll do that. Probably find the excption's migrated elsewhere.

What I find really odd is that the exception doesn't terminate execution,
which I thought it should (would in C#)
Unless the exception's coming from elsewhere (the IDE possibly, or some
graphical component)