POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 Jan 2008 05:13:56
Message: <47907be4$1@news.povray.org>

479008ec$1@news.povray.org...
> Gilles Tran wrote:
>> Of course if you want to keep saying the darnest things, just do it.
>
> It can be helpful to learn how to BS on a topic you know virtually nothing
> about. Then you spend an hour reading a half-dozen wikipedia pages, and
> now you can sound like an expert in them too. ;-)

It sometimes happens that I have someone on the phone asking me stuff that
I'm mostly ignorant about, while I'm frantically googling about it in real
time and providing answers as they appear on screen. There's no point trying
to hide it (people can hear the clicking anyway) but as a rule, answering
"uh, dude, what are you talking about, never heard about that" is not an
option.
The ability to assimilate lots of new info in a very short time is part of
the engineering training here (there's an exam where the student is given a
full paper and asked to summarize it in a few minutes).

G.