POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video editing : Re: Video editing Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video editing
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jan 2008 05:23:56
Message: <478f2cbc$1@news.povray.org>
>> It's quite good for modelling algorithmic things, or things having a
>> specific geometry. (E.g., it's much easier to put an engine block
>> together with POV-Ray than trying to exactly align stuff with a mouse.)
>
> Haha.  Nobody aligns anything with a mouse alone the way you think,
> there are things called "constraints" in modelling packages.  Just
> select two "things" and click constrain, the software will give you the
> valid options for the things you selected (eg mate, align, coincident
> axis, constrain to surface etc).  I hate to think of the math involved
> in aligning conrods, pistons and a crankshaft in POV.  In a modeller
> it's very easy, the software does the math for to rotate/translate once
> you tell it what you actually want.

Well, I know this is supposedly how CAD works, but I have yet to see any
readily available software that offers such power. (I did have a go at
writing such a thing myself once though...)

>> But yeah, sure, there are plenty of things that POV-Ray won't easily
>> do...
>
> AVIsynth is like POV.  If you want to type in the exact start and end
> frames, exactly how long to fade, which files to load, exactly how to
> scale and move the picture at each frame, overlays etc then fine, it's
> possible, just like how modelling a room in POV is possible.  It's not a
> fast process, and usually involves trial and error, but certainly
> possible...

I was thinking more that once you write a script to take a sequence at
250 frames per second, add motion blur, and convert down to 25 frames
per second, you can then process lots of videos quickly. With
VirtualDub, I keep having to re-enter those settings. (And not miss any
out...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/