POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video editing : Re: Video editing Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video editing
From: scott
Date: 17 Jan 2008 05:10:33
Message: <478f2999$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Looks like it might be useful for, say, applying temporal and spatial
>>> antialiasing. Probably not much use for actual editing though...
>>
>> Just like POV isn't much use for actually modelling anything in 3D ;-)
>
> Well, depends.
>
> It's quite good for modelling algorithmic things, or things having a
> specific geometry. (E.g., it's much easier to put an engine block together
> with POV-Ray than trying to exactly align stuff with a mouse.)

Haha.  Nobody aligns anything with a mouse alone the way you think, there
are things called "constraints" in modelling packages.  Just select two
"things" and click constrain, the software will give you the valid options
for the things you selected (eg mate, align, coincident axis, constrain to
surface etc).  I hate to think of the math involved in aligning conrods,
pistons and a crankshaft in POV.  In a modeller it's very easy, the software
does the math for to rotate/translate once you tell it what you actually
want.

> But yeah, sure, there are plenty of things that POV-Ray won't easily do...

AVIsynth is like POV.  If you want to type in the exact start and end
frames, exactly how long to fade, which files to load, exactly how to scale
and move the picture at each frame, overlays etc then fine, it's possible,
just like how modelling a room in POV is possible.  It's not a fast process,
and usually involves trial and error, but certainly possible...