POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The unexpected... : Re: The unexpected... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The unexpected...
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jan 2008 00:58:14
Message: <478eee76$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Employees can quit any time. Employers can fire you at any time.
>
>   Here employees have to notify their employers one month in advance
> before quitting.

What if they don't?  I mean, what if I just stop showing up for work and
move to a different city? What happens to me?

> Employers have to notify the employee three months in advance before
> they fire him, and they can't fire him for any reason they want

Usually you don't get any particular warning, unless you're either
unionized (i.e., the workers have a group contract with the employer,
which is not uncommon) or the employer has already promised it.

You'll often get "severance pay", which is where the employer pays you
to not come in to work for a while.  Many places will, for example, give
you a week's pay or two for each year you've worked for them, when they
fire you.

And of course there are illegal reasons to fire people, but the
presumption is that it's legal to fire someone.

> (I suppose a job contract having a termination date is equivalent to
> having announced the "firing" of the employee well in advance).

Makes sense.

>   Of course there are situations were employees can be "fired" right
> away, without the 3-month warning, but those circumstances are usually
> rather catastrophical (such as the company suddenly becoming bankcrupt).

I'd expect the employee getting caught stealing or otherwise doing
something seriously wrong would be another reason.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it