POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering : Re: Just wondering Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just wondering
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jan 2008 12:27:07
Message: <478e3e6b$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> whether the technology that goes into them is actually expensive itself,

Not in the US at least. Look up "tv capture card". I got a full-blown
system, 300G drive, 1G ram, dual core 3GHz machine with dual tuner card
and hardware mpeg, fairly high-end video card (Radeon whatever) 7.1
surround sound yadda yadda for just under $1000.

The tuner cards themselves are anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on
how many channels they can tune at once, whether they have hardware mpeg
support, etc.

If you're commenting on the horizontal boxes, they're a bit more
expensive than a tower, but the tech inside is identical, including the
motherboards and all that. It's just rearranged inside to fit.

> or whether you're just paying to have something that works out of the
> box...

Well, certainly that too.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)