POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jan 2008 11:20:06
Message: <478e2eb6@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:17:50 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> because hardware depreciation is 3-5 years,
>
> ... which has little to do with it ...
>
> (Depreciation has nothing to do with how fast something wears out, even
> in theory.)

True, but it does have a lot to do with budgeting cycles.  That said, I'm
currently using a laptop that's fully depreciated (and now out of
warranty), got a second one that's so old I couldn't get parts for it,
and a desktop that has so little memory and disk space I can't really use
it for anything.  I don't know when we're slated for new equipment -
probably when something breaks again.

>> and often times, hardware isn't even supported for 10 years.
>
> There is that.
>
> One of the reasons digital phones never really took off in the US is the
> federal government required AT&T to plan for equipment to last 30 to 50
> years when installed. Not a real short innovation cycle there.

True.

Jim