POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The unexpected... : Re: The unexpected... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The unexpected...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jan 2008 11:17:52
Message: <478e2e30$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:49:56 -0500, Tom Austin wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> I always considered an interview as a two-way street.  They were
>> interviewing me, but I was also interviewing them.  If I didn't like
>> what I heard, I'd turn the job down (and have a couple of times).
>>

> It's the only smart thing to do - unless you are desperate.

Even after several months being unemployed, I did this.  I also did not
accept the offer on the spot.  If anything, when you're desperate, you
need to be more diligent, because if the prospective employer smells that
you are desperate, they will generally take advantage of your desperation.

After my stint of unemployment, I got hired by a Fortune 50 company, and
I ended up making 50% again what I was making in the previous job (~$35K
at the old job, just over $50K at the new), and that was more than I was
asking for.  I was quite happy with the offer when presented, but I took
a couple of days to review it before accepting it, just to make sure
there were no hidden terms.

Jim