POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request : Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request Server Time
30 Apr 2024 20:41:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request
From: Chris B
Date: 16 Jan 2008 10:10:09
Message: <478e1e51@news.povray.org>
"Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:25:54 +0100, Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz>
> wrote:
>
>>union the bricks and apply a stripes texture (object rgb,Clear)
>
> I wish it were that simple.
> .. snip ...
> I can apply the stripes to the bricks as they are created, but doing so
> causes obvious uniformity in the stripes.  I'd rather have the stripes not
> be uniform and instead have some slight curvature to them as they are
> drawn down the road.  Furthermore, I'd also like to be able to apply an
> overall "dirt" texture that is more pronounced at the
> edges of the road and not obviously uniform.
> ... snip ...

Hi Kyle,

I'd like a little more clarity about what you mean by 'stripes'. Do you mean
road markings such as the white lane markings and yellow no-parking lines
that you have on a lot of roads? If that's what you want I would suggest
adding a separate object that stands proud of the surface (like paint does)
and that tracks along the road rather than trying to do it just with
textures.

For dirt, you might want to try adding a mostly transparent object a very
small distance above the surface (a plane, a box or a prism object that
follows the course of the road) where the upper surface is just enough above
the brick surface to avoid coincident surfaces. You could use a 'spotted'
pigment to simulate dirt. If the bricks are not totally flat, some could
stick through this mostly transparent surface and would end up cleaner than
the rest.

Regards,
Chris B.