POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering : Re: reverse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reverse
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Jan 2008 06:11:56
Message: <478de67c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I honestly can't believe you are such a computer nerd, yet so clueless
> about basic PC hardware.

Hey, nobody knows everything. ;-)

I know about processors and RAM and stuff, but exotic things like fancy
video processing or infrared communication are outside my experience.

>   The only thing you need is a graphics card which supports video out,
> and then you connect it to a TV (or VCR) which supports video in. I have
> owned such a graphics card myself at one point.

I know my laptop has S-Video out on it. (While not really knowing what
S-Video is.) I was really astonished when I hooked my laptop up to the
TV; all the text was unreadably blurry. But then, I guess you normally
view a TV from the other side of the room, so why bother making it
produce a crisp image of something you can only see from a few feet away?

I was just wondering what it takes to connect a normal PC to a TV. It's
not something I've ever tried to do, or wanted to do, but I figured
somebody here would surely know the answer.

I know 20 years ago it required an expensive scanrate conversion box. I
haven't really looked at it since then.

(My dad claims his TV has a VGA input socket. But then, I suppose it is
an LCD, so multiple scanrates probably isn't an issue...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/