POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering : Re: Just wondering Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just wondering
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jan 2008 01:43:13
Message: <478da781$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> So, given a typical PC, how much would it actually cost to equip it such
> that you can record and play back TV with it? What actual hardware and
> software does this require?

For Windows, a couple hundred bucks for the capture card and "Windows
Media Center" (aka MCE), or a more recent version of Windows. That's
pretty much what Media Center does, along with showing pictures and
music and stuff like that. It also talks to Xboxes and "media extenders"
so you can network it thru your house like AppleTV does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center

There's also MythTV if you want to do it with Linux, don't mind the
typical expert-tolerant Linux type interfaces, and don't mind stealing
the TV listings. (Or have they fixed that lately?)

Most capture cards come with some form of primitive Windows software for
doing this.

I understand TiVo runs some form of Linux inside.

Many places sell machines in a stereo form-factor (i.e., a low flat
case) so you can put it in your stereo rack.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it