POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solve this... : Re: Solve this... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solve this...
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jan 2008 01:35:48
Message: <478da5c4$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Rune wrote:
>> There are two passages of which you must choose one. One of them leads to
>> freedom, the other one to doom. Once you have chosen one, you are stuck with
>> it. In front of each passage is a guards. One guard always tell the truth
>> and one always lies. You don't know which does what. Now you must find out
>> which passage to choose by asking the guards questions...
>
> Solving which one is which is actually easy.

The actual puzzle is that you only get to ask one question.

I've also seen it done with three creatures, one who tells the truth,
one who lies, and one who picks at random. Except they don't speak your
language: they speak a language where Jay and Dook mean yes and no, or
maybe no and yes.

The solution is along the lines of "Would the second person answer Dook
to the question of what the third person would answer if and only if the
work Jay means "yes" in my language?"  Really convoluted, but it works out.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it