POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Jan 2008 12:02:41
Message: <478ce731$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:09:04 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Also, there's no possibility of reconfiguring the switches in any way.
>>> It will all be controlled from HQ.
>>
>> Huh, so they'll be available 24x7 to support any issues?
>
> Don't be ridiculous. ;-)
>
> If it breaks, it's only a problem for the UK, and that's a low priority.

Perhaps before it breaks the first time, but not afterwards if my guess
is right (which maybe it isn't).

>> If it were me,
>> I'd ask them.  Heck, the worst they can say is "yes", the best they can
>> say is "gee, maybe you should learn how to operate them in case we're
>> unavailable - or if the WAN is down" and you get a chance to learn
>> about these things - if anything, it's fodder for the CV.
>
> Would be nice... However, based on my efforts to learn about the
> firewall configuration [which *is* nontrivial], I suspect I'll get
> nowhere.

Gotta start somewhere.  Conceptually, the firewall isn't going to be
difficult - either pass traffic or don't based on some rules.  IOS'
syntax isn't easy, but it's not difficult either - I used to manage a bit
of Cisco equipment (as well as 3Com equipment; the Netbuilder routers
were interesting) - but commands typed in are just syntax - once you
learn the syntax, that's most of the battle.

Jim