POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My mouse : Re: My mouse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My mouse
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jan 2008 10:40:36
Message: <478cd3f4@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/14 06:51:
>>> Anyway, does *anybody* have *any* idea why reinstalling Windoze has
>>> made my mouse malfunction so badly??
>>
>> I would check the drivers for the mouse, USB ports and any other
>> "mainboard" type drivers.  There might be some different version now
>> than before the reinstall.
>
> When I originally installed Windoze, I used the CDs that came in the
> box. However, I now have a dual-core CPU, and [I forget exactly what
> happened] I couldn't get Windoze to work properly without using the
> latest motherboard drivers. Go figure.
>
> So, new motherboard drivers. (The mouse itself doesn't have any drivers
> - or rather, it does, but I've never used them. The drivers are to
> activate the 15 buttons that I don't use. 3 buttons is enough for me...)
>
>> Then I'd try a different mouse, just to see.
>
> Yeah, if I had one...
>
>> When it stops working, is the mouse still "there" (ie in device
>> manager) or does Windows think it has gone?
>
> It's very hard to check.
>
> 10 years ago, I used a sophisticated operating system called AmigaOS. It
> was possible to operate this without a mouse, because there was a set of
> keyboard shortcuts for moving the mouse pointer and clicking mouse
> buttons. However, to my absolute frustration [indeed, near rage],
> Windoze doesn't appear to support such a feature. So you have to guess
> what keyboard shortcuts every individual program uses [assuming it
> provides any at all]. Grrr!!
>
> I do have a very vague recallection that maybe I had the mouse plugged
> into the PS/2 port before, whereas now it's in a USB port. However, I
> *cannot* find the USB-PS/2 adaptor anywhere, so...

New hardware, going from single core to dual core, new mother board drivers.
The environment of your mouse have changed dramaticaly. There may be some
conflict somewhere.
Even if you don't need almost all of the funtionality, try installing the latest
drivers, maybe using the personalised setup if there is one.

--
Alain
   Last night my wife met me at the front door. She was wearing a Sexy negligee.