POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : [TF2] The Pyro : Re: [TF2] The Pyro Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [TF2] The Pyro
From: scott
Date: 15 Jan 2008 10:00:31
Message: <478cca8f$1@news.povray.org>
> Ah, OK. So it only requires some pretty expensive software then? ;-)
>
> [Seriously, I thought running Far Cry was enough to make virtually any
> computer malfunction under the extreme load. Is it really feasible to run
> video recording software at the same time?]

I bought Fraps a year or two ago and it's a really cool piece of software.
It uses a custom codec to compress the video stream that is optimised for
in-game recording direct to disc.  The files are pretty large so you always
should recompress afterwards to h264 or xvid or something.

Usually I see a FPS drop of about 30-40% while recording.  What I sometimes
do (if it's possible) is to set the "game" to play back at 0.5 speed, then
record at 15fps, then force it to 30fps when recompressing.  Works pretty
well.

Here's a video I made that was made with a combination of POV (for the first
part), Windows Movie Maker (for editing and the text) and Fraps (for the
in-game videos):

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6763259579742806316