POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Tim Cook
Date: 14 Jan 2008 14:01:30
Message: <478bb18a$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> Hmm the most likely reason to perform EVA would be to get to the engines
> or dish so we'll put the pods at the front of the ship so they have to
> rotate 180 degrees then move around the cockpit to get there.
> Hard points to attach the EVA pod to the ship so I don't need to float so
> far? Nah. The ability to dock the EVA pod to the emergency door? Nah.

Except that wasn't the most likely reason to perform EVA.  The EVAs were
to be performed at the destination to examine the environment.  The
AE-35 unit malfunctioning was something that had a low probability of
happening (so low, in fact, that it DIDN'T happen; HAL forced the issue).

> An easy to access emergency computer override system? Nah the 9000 series
> is perfect which is why they had a Computer Malfunction alert on the
> hibernation pods.

Overriding the computer was the absolute last thing anybody was
interested in doing; Dave lobotomized HAL and had an incredibly
difficult time keeping up with doing all the stuff that HAL handled
automatically by himself, in the book.

> Ducking through doors - just make them taller.  Ladders
> to climb up/down things that only allow one person at a time.

Why don't they make submarines, F-15s, heck, even trains large enough
that you can just waltz around freely?  Space is at a premium in just
about any vehicle.  You use as little as possible.

> Put the engines well out of the way along
> this spindly connection so they're difficult to get to and easily
> severed from the rest of the ship. Etc., etc.

Actually that one is fairly common in SF; you're using nuclear-driven
engines that spit out a lot of radiation and are experimental so you
want it as far away from your crew as possible just in case it goes boom
in more directions than the one you want.

> Well you do also go to a jump from radio burst on the Moon to a 18 month
> later ship heading to Jupiter, which may make you go 'huh, what happened
> then?'

According to the book, the ship was already being built; the TMA-1
incident a) sped up the schedule and b) augmented the mission with
additional parameters.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com