POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electric sheep : Re: Electric sheep Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electric sheep
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Jan 2008 10:08:44
Message: <478b7afc$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> And I saw a program about "freak waves". Apparently these occur with a
>> frequency vastly higher than predicted by the standard model.
>> (Standard model assumes a normal distribution, which means a wave of
>> this size should happen once every few millennia.) Apparently some
>> solution to the Schrowonakiarlumlum wave equation predicts this, but
>> nobody noticed before. And now the redesign implications are quite
>> staggering. Or something...
>
> Yeh wouldn't surprise me.  Although I'm sure, as with most structural
> engineering, once you have calculated how strong to make something you
> just multiply it by 2 to be on the safe side :-)

True.

OTOH, if you've expecting a maximum wave hight of X, you design to
withstand 2X, and then suddenly a 12X have hits... hmm, Not Good(tm).

Oh, actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_wave

right! ;-)

PS. Don't you ever hit a point where it's not possible to design for 2x
the maximum? Or do you just decide not to build the thing at all at this
point?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/