POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jan 2008 19:44:00
Message: <47880d50$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:59:34 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> There is one scene in EpIII that I think transcends the normal StarWars
> feel with powerful, subtle meaning: the completely dialogue-free scene
> where Anakin and Padme are in separate locations across the Capital,
> each looking toward where they know the other must be and each thinking
> about the other. It's just before Anakin makes the decision that pushes
> him past the point of no return - to go to Palpatine's office when Windu
> tries to arrest him. It might just be me, but I really like that scene.

No, I think that scene worked - ironically, the scenes that worked the
best in 1-3 were the ones where nobody talked.  There's some good
cinematography there, no doubt.

That wasn't the case in eps 4-6, though - the characters didn't feel so
wooden in 4-6.

>> I guess it's fair to say that going into ep1 I had no expectations, but
>> then I was confronted with Jar Jar, and I just wanted to hit something
>> Lucas-like.
>
> Jar Jar was annoying, but I didn't think EpI was as bad as everyone else
> thinks. I absolutely love the podrace, even if they did use F1 car sound
> effects when they should have been using turbine engines!

The podrace was probably my second favourite scene there.  The fight with
Darth Maul was my first, but it wasn't long enough IMO.  The fact that
Ray Park was actually doing the stunts himself and there was very little
(if any) wire work made it that much better.

>> I really liked the uncut version of Blade Runner better than the
>> theatrical release specifically for this matter; RS was told he needed
>> a "clean" ending with no uncertainty, but his original vision was far,
>> far better because you just didn't know how things ended up.
>
> Which theatrical release? There have been 3! ;-) I've not seen the
> recent iteration, only the second (the original 'director's cut')... the
> ending is nicely open in that version.

Well, the original theatrical release.

>> ESB was definitely the best of the bunch - I really liked that one.
>
> Best lightsaber fight of the series. Best effects shot (for me) - when
> the Falcon escapes Bespin at full pelt with the sun peeking from behind
> the planet in the background. Best acted scene of the series - "I love
> you" - "I know". And no ewoks! ;-)

I can't disagree with any of those - though I have to admit the
lightsaber fight between Luke and Vader in Jedi was beautiful to watch
with the contrast between the dark backgrounds and the bright sabers.
And the wide shots of that fight were very good.  Too much today fight
scenes are a series of close-up cutaways, and while the "action" is
faster, it doesn't feel as authentic.  I wish fight scenes were more
often shot from a distance sufficient to see the combatants and the
camera was more or less stationary.  With good fighters, many fight
scenes would be absolutely beautiful if they just let us watch it in one
shot.

Jim