POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Jan 2008 05:56:56
Message: <4785f9f8@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I think the actors tried hard, but the script, as you say, was sub-par.
>>   Additionally, Lucas wasn't interested in honing dialogue or shooting
>> any re-takes at all (except for completely fluffed lines, sets falling
>> over etc). Consequently, the action and effects are awesome but the
>> actual character interaction feels really fake and unbelievable.
>
> Oh, I do think that the actors tried hard and didn't have a lot to work
> with, absolutely.  Agreed 100%.

There is one scene in EpIII that I think transcends the normal StarWars
feel with powerful, subtle meaning: the completely dialogue-free scene
where Anakin and Padme are in separate locations across the Capital,
each looking toward where they know the other must be and each thinking
about the other. It's just before Anakin makes the decision that pushes
him past the point of no return - to go to Palpatine's office when Windu
tries to arrest him. It might just be me, but I really like that scene.

> I guess it's fair to say that going into ep1 I had no expectations, but
> then I was confronted with Jar Jar, and I just wanted to hit something
> Lucas-like.

Jar Jar was annoying, but I didn't think EpI was as bad as everyone else
thinks. I absolutely love the podrace, even if they did use F1 car sound
effects when they should have been using turbine engines!

> I really liked the uncut version of Blade Runner better than the
> theatrical release specifically for this matter; RS was told he needed a
> "clean" ending with no uncertainty, but his original vision was far, far
> better because you just didn't know how things ended up.

Which theatrical release? There have been 3! ;-)
I've not seen the recent iteration, only the second (the original
'director's cut')... the ending is nicely open in that version.

> ESB was definitely the best of the bunch - I really liked that one.

Best lightsaber fight of the series. Best effects shot (for me) - when
the Falcon escapes Bespin at full pelt with the sun peeking from behind
the planet in the background. Best acted scene of the series - "I love
you" - "I know". And no ewoks! ;-)