POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Differential equations FTW! : Re: Differential equations FTW! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential equations FTW!
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jan 2008 05:41:20
Message: <4785f650$1@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth wrote:
> Am Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:01:11 +0000 schrieb Invisible:
>
>> As for "Science, 261, 189, 9 July 1993", what does that actually *mean*?
>>
> (Assuming you don't already know this stuff, but maybe it is still useful
> for someone else) It is a short way of citing articles of scientific
> journals. In this case the journal is called "Science Magazine", the
> volume is 261 and the pagenumber, where the article starts, is 189.
>
> http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/261/5118/189
>
> Usually you have to subscribe to such journals to download articles, and
> it is very expensive to subscribe to them, so usually it is only done by
> universities or research institutions.

I see. So *this* is why you can never actually read all these papers
they tell you exist? [I've never read a "paper" in my life, for example.
And I'm not very clear on what one actually "is" either.]

> If there is a university near you,
> you can try to get articles at the library, as journal subscriptions are
> usually for the university network and (at least in germany) you can get
> a university library card also as a normal person for a very small fee
> (something like 10 € for a year). For finding articles
>
> http://scholar.google.com
>
> is not bad, although there are better search pages for which you have to
> pay a subscription fee.

OK.

Well in this case, I probably wouldn't understand the paper in question
anyway, but still...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/