POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Jan 2008 23:17:37
Message: <47859c61$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:58:19 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:09:03 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> That, and the acting sucked. Which is hard to blame on the actors,
>>> given how it was filmed.
>>
>> And the fact that the scripts generally sucked.  There wasn't a lot for
>> the actors to work with, since most of the budget was blown on the
>> effects.
>
> I think the actors tried hard, but the script, as you say, was sub-par.
>   Additionally, Lucas wasn't interested in honing dialogue or shooting
> any re-takes at all (except for completely fluffed lines, sets falling
> over etc). Consequently, the action and effects are awesome but the
> actual character interaction feels really fake and unbelievable.

Oh, I do think that the actors tried hard and didn't have a lot to work
with, absolutely.  Agreed 100%.

>> It isn't about fan expectations - I went in with no expectations, and
>> still I was disappointed.
>
> I went in with mixed feelings, but I was pleasantly surprised. That
> suggests I was expecting to be disappointed...!

I guess it's fair to say that going into ep1 I had no expectations, but
then I was confronted with Jar Jar, and I just wanted to hit something
Lucas-like.

I had low expectations for 2 & 3, and as I think I said elsewhere, 3 I
actually kinda liked because it went to where it inevitably needed to go
and ended with a pretty dark ending (just like ESB, for that matter).  I
generally prefer films where the end doesn't wrap everything up all nice
and neat and everyone lives happily ever after.

I really liked the uncut version of Blade Runner better than the
theatrical release specifically for this matter; RS was told he needed a
"clean" ending with no uncertainty, but his original vision was far, far
better because you just didn't know how things ended up.

> I like all the Star Wars films, but I'll be the first to admit that
> they're all seriously flawed in one way or another. Except maybe ESB.

ESB was definitely the best of the bunch - I really liked that one.