POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) : Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) Server Time
17 May 2024 08:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge)
From: Alain
Date: 9 Jan 2008 14:13:49
Message: <47851ced@news.povray.org>
COMPATT nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/08 21:29:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> A lot of objects in a CSG can be very slow, espscially if using intersection or
>> difference.  Perhaps try using blobs as I did for a golf ball some time ago,
>> which ends up rendering a lot faster.  You can either create the whole planet
>> as a single blob entity, or just the craters (still create all the craters as a
>> single blob item though) and union/difference them with the planet.
>

> I was not expecting (and greatly appreciate!) the quick responses to my problem.
>  Since this is the second time (2 out of 2) that the use of blob objects for
> creating craters has been mentioned as a possible solution, I would like to try
> this approach.  I can understand how "negative" blobs could be used to simulate
> the smooth dimples of a golfball, but the rim of an impact craters wall is
> usually sharp, jagged and abrupt. the same is true for the more complex
> features of the inside of very large impact craters such as central peaks and
> peak rings.  Is is possible to get such "sharp" effects and still use blobs?

Create the planed as a blob. Use negative blob components to dig the rough
outlines of the craters into the planet.
Once that's done, add, with an union, all your craters with ther sharp and
jagged edges and peaks.

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

A Hot Air Balloon is Male, because, to get it to go anywhere, you have to light
a fire under it, and of course, there's the hot air part.